Monday, April 27, 2009

Second Life: How I was Duped

I am fearful to admit that I was somehow duped into creating a "Second Life" account. I innocently fell victim to signing up for account through Accenture's website---at the time, unbeknown to me--- it was a marketing gimmick. As I began applying for an internship at Accenture in Germany last summer, I was somehow recommended to sign up for said account. How dare I?!? I honestly thought signing up for this account would lead me closer to landing the job---tricksters!

As the old Chinese proverb goes: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I will never willingly sign up for a Second Life account---unless of course it is under the guise of class participation this week in my Business and Social Networking class.

While I know I have been successful in wielding Web 2.0 applications---cue facebook--- into some serious means of procrastination, I will not ride the "Second Life" wave. I cannot begin to contemplate my own fantasty world---one in which, I can what---fly?!? To expend both time and MONEY---yes, money---on a Second Life would not behoove me in the slightest.

As the old adage goes, you can't pick your family; you just have to accept them. I think these "Second Life" fanatics should prescribe to this adage...don't pick a "second" life, just accept the one your mama gave you...

1 comment:

  1. Heather, I am trying to imagine the experience you had while using second life. I totally understand and I am with you. Spending time and money on something like that is not my cup of tea. Some people might be totally desperate witht heir lives and would like to try it, but for me, I am content as I am. I guess I can use my imagination but that will remain in my head.

    ReplyDelete