Sunday, April 12, 2009

Are you being "google-ed?"

Are you being google-ed---and if so---what does it mean? Better yet...have you google-ed yourself lately? Needless to say, these thoughts prompted me to do some Google research on myself. Oddly enough, my search retrieved a host of sites mentioning my name; however, my "barely active" LinkedIn Account was revealed as the top three hits....followed naturally by my Facebook account...go figure. This got me thinking...what does this mean? What does this say about me?

As the old adage goes, "The first impression is the last impression." This statement normally refers to an in-person meeting, i.e. an opportunity to make a personal FIRST impression. With the advent of such applications as LinkedIn and Facebook, has Web 2.0 been making our "first impressions" for us...perhaps even unbeknownst to us? How rude!

Although such applications as LinkedIn and Facebook have provided us a venue to "stay in touch" and "network," are they simualaneously doing us a great disservice? I hear choruses of: "I judge you for using poor grammar on your LinkedIn / Facebook profile...oh and why don't you have enough contacts? In our world of Web 2.0, are we quick to judge? Are we judging others based on the correct criteria?

I would hate to know that potential employers could be judging me based on my inactive LinkedIn account...I swear I have more contacts!!! And meaningful ones to boot!

I agree that social networking is a great tool, but are we overusing it---or using it incorrectly? I know that a lot of great brands get discovered via social networking sites such as MySpace, but perhaps these sites provide the perfect platform for bands to showcase their talent...all they have to do is upload a video and provide contact info. With regard to using such sites for professional networking purposes, i.e. job recruitment, perhaps this is not the proper venue. It took me a while to join the Facebook phenomenon; however I am still not fully vested in LinkedIn. Calling all potential employers, please don't judge me based on my LinkedIn account!

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way! I'm always worried that people will judge my LinkedIn account because of the number of contacts I have. The truth is, I haven't really paid that much attention to it and haven't searched for every contact I know. And then there's also the fear of having too many people in my social network, should I be selective? Lots of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions! When I look at LinkedIn profiles without a lot of contacts and work background listed, I guess I try to think the better of the person, that they're not really commited to this venue, rather than they are lazy/unconnected. But I wouldn't assume that everyone thinks this way. If you're not going to spend a bit of time on your public profiles, I'd take them down.

    I'm definitely one of those people who judge others on their grammar and spelling. When I'm hiring, I'll eliminate an otherwise promising candidate for a spelling mistake. My rationale? Their resume is the most highly polished piece of writing they're likely to produce for me. If they can't get that right, they will drive me crazy, guaranteed, because so much of our work is written communications. I think the LinkedIn profile is a standin for a resume in many situations, so I think it should be similarly well edited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely see how these tools are overused. I'm not very active on my LinkedIn account either and after all this reading about networking, I'm beginning to wonder if that inactivity is going to hurt me in the eyes of prospective employers; I think it might...

    *leaving now to go update my profile*

    Ameir

    ReplyDelete
  4.  I've definitely googled myself - and I know I've been googled.  People that I've met a few times say oh you worked for Senator Snowe - I said to them oh I don't recall telling you that.  Needless to say, it's an awkward moment then!  Its far to easy to research any given name on Google.  Employers, I for sure know, look at Facebook, Myspace, Linkedin.  The job im at now - at my last interview the they said, oh we checked your facebook and Myspace account, no problem there (side note: I dont have them anymore)  Its such an invasion of privacy.  Social networking is indeed a good tool - but I think for sure  think its over-used, as most people don't have boundaries on what or who they check consistently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, just had a conversation with someone who is applying for a job and they flat out asked him for his LinkedIn url.....
    So if I don't have enough links on it but then go and add everyone and their mama within a week would that make me a better suited candidate??
    I definately agree with you on this as I myself am boggled by all the importance being placed on these social websites.

    ReplyDelete